Skip to main content

Episode 63: The King of the Underworld is Tired

The King of the Underworld is Tired

Episode 63: The Story of Perseus – (5)


After killing Medusa, Perseus was passing by Ethiopia when he discovered a woman who had been offered as a sacrifice to a sea monster.


The woman’s name was Andromeda. Perseus turned the sea monster to stone, rescuing the princess, and became the son-in-law of King Cepheus of Ethiopia.


However, just as Perseus and Princess Andromeda were about to have their wedding, someone barged in with soldiers.


“Who is this wretch stealing my place? I am Andromeda’s original fiancĂ©!”


“Father-in-law…? What are you saying? A fiancĂ©?”


“Hah! Don’t worry about him, Perseus. That man was in favor of offering my daughter as a sacrifice.”


“Is that so? He ran away from the threat of the sea monster, only to come back later, greedy for power. A coward.”


With that, Perseus grabbed Medusa’s head from his bag, ready to take it out at any moment, and shouted:


“Those who are on my side, close your eyes!!!”


“Haha! What nonsense…”


“Huh? What is…?!”


When Medusa’s head, capable of turning all mortals who hadn’t attained divinity into stone, was revealed in the hall, all who failed to close their eyes turned to stone.


However…


“A... father! Mother…”


“My father-in-law and mother-in-law… ugh... I’m sorry…”


The King and Queen of Ethiopia, who closed their eyes too late, were petrified and met their deaths. Greatly distressed, Perseus returned to the island of Seriphos and found King Polydectes, who had been threatening his mother Danaë.


Polydectes was horrified when Perseus, whom he believed to have perished at the hands of Medusa, returned.


“What...? You survived Medusa? Don’t lie to me!”


“See for yourself if I’m lying!”


When the lustful king turned to stone and met his end, Perseus brought his mother Danaë back.


“Perseus… even though your grandfather abandoned you because of the prophecy, I’m sure he still longs for you.”


“Yes, Mother. I will send a letter to Argos and meet him.”


However, Perseus’ grandfather Acrisius fled under the cover of night, abandoning the throne of Argos.


Perseus became the king of both Ethiopia and Argos, with Andromeda as his queen.


The first thing Perseus did as king, after returning the weapons he had borrowed from the gods, was…


“I will sponsor the temples of the Olympian gods in the name of the royal family. To Lady Athena and Lord Hermes, and…”


“Your Majesty, however, we do not have a temple to the god Pluto in Argos.”


“Then build one!”


It was an act of repaying the gods who had lent him their divine weapons.


* * *


This is my domain, the Underworld, ruled by me, Hades.


Since Medusa has become a new deity of the Underworld, I ordered my followers to create a new statue of her.


A few days later, when I listened to the world below…


“I thought Medusa was just a monster, but the priests of Pluto say something a little different.”


“They say she was once human but became a monster due to an unfortunate fate?”


“Is that really true? I always thought she was just a monster.”


“I don’t quite understand it myself… but Lord Pluto isn’t just any god. He must have uncovered the truth and restored her honor.”


“Well, the god of the Underworld has no reason to lie, after all.”


“Is it that even those who are sad and unfortunate are rewarded in the Underworld... Oh, merciful god…”


It seems Medusa has slightly altered her story and conveyed it to the living.


Did she think that directly criticizing Athena and Poseidon might cause me trouble?


In any case, my followers are half-believing, and some have even started offering prayers to Medusa’s statue.


Being one of the three major gods comes in handy at times like this.


Olympus has sent a message saying it’s a bit much to make Medusa a deity, but…


I relayed my thoughts well through Hermes, the messenger god. Probably.


“Tell Zeus to mind his own business and stop with the rapes.”


“Uh… Uncle Hades… Do I have to relay that exactly?”


“…You decide.”


Anyway, Medusa’s story is coming to an end, and now I hear someone in the mortal world calling out to me.


“…O Pluto…”


There aren’t many ways mortals can reach me when I’m not paying attention to the living, but… is it from Argos? Perseus?


Now a king, Perseus had erected a great altar and was offering me sacrifices, calling out to me.


As the king of two nations, the amount of sacrificial offerings was overwhelming.


“O Pluto! I have repaid your grace in lending me the Helm of Darkness by building a temple in your honor. Please, send your priest!”


Perseus personally presided over the burnt offering atop a high wooden platform.


Even though he had many servants at his disposal, the hero conducted the ritual himself.


“Your Majesty. We could…”


“No, it’s fine. I will handle it.”


As I watched this humble man who had become king, I suddenly remembered the prophecy about Perseus.


The dreadful prophecy that he would kill his own grandfather.


However, vague prophecies often have many loopholes, and if I can mitigate his inevitable tragedy…


I can at least offer a small piece of advice.


“Tell Hypnos and Morpheus that I’m looking for them.”


“Yes! Understood!”


* * *


Perseus, while offering a burnt sacrifice to Pluto in the mortal world, felt a strange sensation.


His mind became momentarily hazy, and before him appeared a young man with wings.


“I am Morpheus, the god of dreams. I have come to deliver a message from Lord Hades.”


“…!! It is an honor!”


As Perseus knelt before him, the god before him exuded an aura of mystery as he spoke.


“The prophecy cannot be changed, but the path to its outcome is one you can choose.”


“…?”


With these cryptic words, Morpheus vanished.


The prophecy cannot be changed, but the path to it can be chosen…


What could that mean? Isn’t prophecy an absolute destiny that not even the gods can alter?


What message could Lord Pluto have been trying to convey?


Could it be… because of the prophecy about him killing his grandfather?


“Your Majesty! Your Majesty! Are you all right?”


“Huh?! What is it?”


“Your Majesty, you were just standing there, asleep!”


As Perseus looked around, the citizens and servants watching the burnt offering were murmuring in confusion.


They seemed baffled by whatever had just happened to their king.


Quickly regaining his composure, Perseus’ keen mind began to process the situation.


From Olympus, Zeus, watching over him, called upon the goddess of fortune, Tyche, to bestow a small blessing. Athena, the goddess of wisdom, also lent him a moment of her wisdom, understanding the situation.


“…People of Argos!”


Finally, the hero who had been silently contemplating opened his mouth.


He spoke in an attempt to mitigate the tragic fate that had been handed to him.


“You all know why the former king, Acrisius, gave up his throne!”


The gathered citizens murmured amongst themselves.


The prophecy that linked Perseus and Acrisius was widely known, and many were aware of it.


“As you know, there is a prophecy that I will kill my grandfather. But just now, I received a new prophecy from Pluto, lord of the Underworld!”


“So… did His Majesty fall asleep because of that?”


“Did Lord Pluto reward him for building the temple?”


“Is it about that dreadful prophecy…?”


Though the hall grew noisy, the king paid no mind and continued to speak.


“The prophecy cannot be avoided, but the path to it can be changed. That is the message from the god!”


All ears were now fixed on the king’s words.


“I will… treat my grandfather Acrisius with the utmost respect until he reaches the end of his natural lifespan, and just before he passes… I will personally ensure that he meets a peaceful end. I swear this by the River Styx!”


!!!!


The people stirred as if divine judgment had descended upon them.


A vow sworn by King Perseus, so soon after ascending to the throne!


The River Styx—an unbreakable oath even the mighty gods of Olympus could not defy.


To break such a vow would condemn a human soul to Tartarus after death.


But could this change the prophecy, even slightly?


Wait a moment… what if the king fails to keep this oath…?!


“Wait! Hold on! No… don’t do it!”


From amidst the chaotic crowd, an elderly man appeared.


Though shabby in appearance, his face seemed oddly familiar.


“To swear by the River Styx so carelessly…! What will you do if you can’t keep that vow…?”


“Huh? Perseus! That’s your grandfather…!”


“Mother, is it really true?”


“Wait… could that be…?!”


“The former king… Acrisius?!”


Acrisius had secretly returned, curious to see the face of his grandson.


When he heard his grandson making a vow by the River Styx, he couldn’t help but step forward.


“Is that… truly my grandfather?”


“…You look just like DanaĂ«, the daughter I wronged due to the prophecy… but why did you swear by the River Styx…”


“Mother has spoken, and seeing your concern for me… I will lead you to safety, Grandfather.”


“I… I’m sorry, Perseus…”


They embraced each other, overjoyed by the reunion.


Danaë, watching this, burst into tears, and the citizens, witnessing this scene, began to pray.


“Nothing bad has happened even though they’ve met… could this mean…!”


“Has the unchangeable prophecy… shifted slightly by the power of the Styx?”


“Oh, the gods are merciful! To witness such a sight…”


Though it was fated that Acrisius would die by Perseus’ hand,


He would now live out the rest of his life peacefully, eventually making his way to the embrace of Hades.

||Previous||TOC||Next||

Comments

  1. Changing a prophecy may not be too hard, don't just outrightly avoid it, you will indirectly fulfill it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oedipus and his parents could have done the same if they had this same wisdom. There are metaphorical ways to fulfill a prophecy just as the sphinx accepted metaphorical answers to the riddles. Oedipus probably could have metaphorically fulfilled the prophecy by purely just peacefully taking over. When a king passes on his throne to his son, his life as king is over. Metaphorically being slain. An inevitable fate. Even if an unrelated conqueror takes over, the successor is the son to their predecessors. To marry their mother can also be to simply be invested in the land or country. Or he could have married a woman who is like their mother in traits.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next