Skip to main content

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 34

These lewd things are idols?

Episode: 34


Who wouldn't know that it's bad to count your chickens before they hatch?


Still, the reason people do it is that it's often more refreshing to imagine a victory in your head than to wait for the actual confirmation.


I called the trainees who were taking a break after practice.


Watching them, still sweaty and panting, stirred something in me, but I was more excited about what was coming next.


"Do you guys know 'Nampo-dong Nuclear Fist'?"


"Huh?"


All four of them shook their heads simultaneously.


"Is he some kind of famous gangster? Why?"


"Is he coming here to beat up our team leader?"


In one sense, they're reliable, but in another, they’re just so innocent.


Well, it’s not like they’d care about the name of a songwriter anyway.


"Alright then, do you at least know these songs?"


I started playing the songs composed and written by 'Nampo-dong Nuclear Fist,' which I had saved in my favorites.


"Oh!"


"Of course, we know this song."


"Wow, this used to be one of our practice songs."


Seri stood up and naturally started dancing, while Min-seo, beside her, also got up and began happily swaying her shoulders to the beat.


Hee-ju and Da-young just stood there watching them, not moving at all.


"The person who composed these songs is 'Nampo-dong Nuclear Fist.'"


"Oh, wow! That’s impressive. These are all really famous songs. Did one person compose all of them?"


"Yeah, that’s right. Honestly, this composer is pretty amazing. I’ve heard that if you lined up all the agencies and idols who want to receive a song from this composer, they’d wrap around the Earth."


"Wow!"


Watching the girls clap and marvel made me understand why people get so obsessed with idols. Even though I see them every day, they still make me happy every time.


Now, when I tell them that the great composer might actually work on their song, it'll be the climax. Just imagining how shocked and ecstatic they'll be is already making me happy.


This is why it feels so good to count your chickens before they hatch. You can exaggerate and enjoy it even more.


"That amazing compo—"


Just as I was about to relish the moment and sip the imaginary victory soup I’d been holding back, someone interrupted.


"Hey, Team Leader Kim."


"Argh!"


I bit my tongue.


Damn it.


Even though I hadn't heard that voice in a while, the moment I did, it gave me the chills.


"Team leader, are you okay? Should we call an ambulance?"


"A kiss might make it better, right? Did you cut your tongue? Do you want to go to the hospital?"


"No, no. I’m fine. Calm down."


What scares me the most is when you guys freak out like this.


What's with the ambulance and the kiss?


I seriously need to take some time to teach these girls some common sense.


'How is it that these girls seem dumber than the trainees who've been practicing for over five years?'


Even Hee-ju and Min-seo graduated from high school, right?


"Actually, successful idols need to be a bit clueless at this age."


"You too. We need to study together."


"I’m serious."


Seri isn’t very reliable either, huh?


Maybe the only trustworthy one here is Da-young?


"Damn it, that bald jerk is back again."


"..."


Old habits die hard. Damn it.


Whoever raised Da-young, I need to meet them and have a word. How much swearing did they do in front of her to make her like this?


"What brings Team Leader Park here again?"


Even though it had been about a month since I last saw him, just looking at Park Joo-yong still made my nerves tingle.


The more I look at him, the more annoying he is.


And his timing is impeccable too.


'Wait, should I just say it in front of him?'


No, I need to choose my moments wisely.


If I brag in front of him, it'll definitely backfire.


"The president already warned you, coming here like this is a bit troublesome."


"Oh, come on, Team Leader Kim."


Wow.


"He just didn’t want to see us fighting. What are we, kids? Are we going to fight every time we see each other? And also, what was it again?"


What do you mean, what was it? Damn it.


I was just staying quiet.


You're the one who freaks out every time you see me, and now you're trying to act like I was the one making a scene too.


'Ha, this is really driving me crazy.'


Now I understand why people end up quitting good jobs just because they have a bad boss. The stress is unreal.


"We're both team leaders, after all. And we’re each in charge of trainees who are about to debut."


"Yeah, I guess that's true."


"So instead of raising our voices at each other, we should let the results speak for themselves."


"Yes, yes. That’s true. You’re right. And honestly, it might be a bit late to say this, but in the end, we’re all on the same team. Wouldn't it be great if we could all succeed together?"


This guy is being unusually mild today, so I decided to just go along with him.


But then...


"Oh no, that’s not it."


This bastard.


We just can't communicate. It's like talking to a wall.


"Even if we’re eating from the same pot, we’re still competitors. We’re not here to help each other."


"If one side does well, they could help out the other side. I mean, does one team have to fail just because the other succeeds? It’s not even our lives we’re talking about here, it’s these kids with their whole futures ahead of them."


"It's with that kind of weak mindset that you end up failing. Just like you."


"......"


Deep breath. Another deep breath.


I swallowed my anger down thirty-five times over as I quietly sent the kids away.


I had a feeling I might end up saying something harsh.


"Manager Kim, are you okay?"


"It’s fine. Go on."


Even the ever-clingy Hee-ju, I managed to send off, leaving her in Seri's care.


"You're quick to send them away. Were you scared of having a one-on-one conversation?"


"Yeah, well, it’s not like I’ve only been cursed out by you once or twice. Looks like I’m going to live a long life, thanks to you. I feel like my lifespan has increased by about ten years."


"What did you just say?"


Look at him getting all riled up again.


Fine.


Let’s just make him lose it so he can go off in front of the CEO one more time.


I might as well record it and rat him out.


"You might not have heard, but the CEO arranged for us to get a song from Nampodong Fist."


"Wow, that’s a pretty amazing composer. It’s a great opportunity."


And the CEO is deciding whether to give it to my team or Oasis.


Judging by recent performance, anyone with half a brain could tell where the CEO’s leaning.


It’s got to be me.


It’s got to be us.


I’ve got an unbeatable lineup of kids in my team.


The CEO, who’s secretly ambitious, wouldn’t have given it to Park’s team if he was in his right mind.


Really.


Absolutely.


One hundred percent.


That’s what I thought, but then...


"Well, actually, ahem, Oasis was originally going to get that song."


"What?"


Somebody pinch me.


Freeze tag. Damn it.


"But I thought it wasn’t right. I mean, your team is preparing for debut too, and it didn’t feel right just taking such a good opportunity for ourselves. After all, we're on the same team, aren't we?"


"......"


"So there’s about a week left until the monthly evaluation. I suggested that the song should go to whichever team does better, and at first, the CEO said no, but in the end, he agreed. And that’s why I personally came down here to deliver the news to you. You should be grateful."


I just blinked and stared at Park Joo-yong for a moment.


I even held my breath for a bit.


"Ha. Hahaha! Hahaha!"


A hollow laugh escaped me.


"Wow. Seriously."


This is just insane.


"What’s so funny? I’m giving you a good opportunity here."


"Oh, no, it’s just that... Wow, you’re really something else, Team Leader Park. I’m so touched by the thought that you went out of your way to ask the CEO on our behalf. I’m practically drowning in a wave of emotion."


To be precise, you must have begged the CEO like crazy not to give it to us.


Arguing that giving it to a team like ours with such a short training period would be insane.


You must have pushed and pushed for Oasis to get it instead, saying that if they just released an album, they’d definitely succeed.


‘And the CEO who agreed to it, well, damn.’


Team Leader Park Joo-yong. CEO Chun Tae-oh.


Just thinking about their names makes me dizzy.


‘Phew. These are the kind of people who end up climbing to the top.’


Those who care about others, who are smart, and who are self-aware end up feeling ashamed and stepping back quickly.


But these bastards in front of me...


He doesn’t know the meaning of shame, this bastard. He doesn’t know how to back down.


He’s always living a life where he’s convinced he’s right.


“Hahaha, haha, hahaha.”


“Why are you laughing, you bastard? Are you mocking me?”


“No, it’s not that.”


After finishing my thoughts, I nodded and quickly grabbed Park Joo-yong’s hand for a handshake.


“Thank you so much for the great opportunity. And let’s have a fair competition.”


Park Joo-yong, who roughly shook off my hand, gave me a nasty smile.


“A fair competition, sure. Well, I think the outcome is already decided, but don’t be too disappointed when you lose.”


Who’s he to say that? Unbelievable.


“Yeah, sure. Let’s do that. Thanks for coming down to give me the good news.”


I’m glad I was the only one who drank the kimchi soup.


“Are we done talking, Team Manager?”


“Hee-ju.”


“Yes?”


“Bring some salt. I need to sprinkle some on my hands and in the practice room.”


“Yes, got it.”


Swoosh.


* * *


Back at the dorm, after changing into comfortable clothes, we gathered and talked.


“So, it’s going to be decided at the end-of-month evaluation whether we get the song or not. From that composer we heard earlier.”


“Yeah.”


“That’s why you played the song earlier. To motivate us since it’s a great opportunity.”


I’m really glad I was the only one who jumped the gun.


“Exactly.”


“Only a week left until the end-of-month evaluation, huh. It’s tough. The performance we need to show and our usual practice routine aren’t exactly the same.”


“Sorry for telling you a bit late.”


On the other hand, Oasis just needs to polish the song and choreography a bit, and they’re ready to prepare for their debut.


From what I know, they often have something called a trainee stage performance.


Like the impromptu stage we saw when we went drinking last time.


It’s not something only our agency does.


Since it’s a way to prepare for the real thing while still in training, most agencies have these schedules. We’ll also start doing that more often when our debut gets closer.


Like street busking and such. We’ll be watching those a lot too.


So, just looking at the end-of-month evaluation alone, it’s true that we’re at a bit of a disadvantage.


“If it were another team, I’d be worried, but I think we can do it. Min-seo’s positive energy is amazing, and Da-young’s keen eye can spot all the shortcomings and issues within a week and fix them. And lastly, I’d say Hee-ju is our secret weapon.”


“Secret weapon?”


“Secret weapon?”


Hee-ju and I both tilted our heads in confusion.


Seori chuckled and grabbed Heeju’s cheeks, shaking them.


Despite that, Hee-ju, expressionless as ever, carefully leaned her head on my shoulder.


Seeing that, Seori’s smile grew even wider.


“She’s doing great now, but the one who hasn’t fully unleashed her potential is Hee-ju.”


“Really?”


I didn’t know. Is that so?


“What’s the way to unlock it?”


I asked while repeatedly trying to push Hee-ju’s head off my shoulder before giving up.


“That’s a secret.”


Ah, geez. She knows how to make someone curious.


“Tell me.”


“You’ll find out soon enough.”


With that, Seori quickly detached Hee-ju, who was clinging to me, and ran off into her room.


“How am I supposed to know? Damn it.”


Scratching the back of my head, I entered the room, which doubled as my wardrobe and sleeping area, and laid out my blanket.


And while I was lying down, contemplating what I could do to help with the end-of-month evaluation, I heard a knock.


The problem is, there are too many girls who might visit me at this late hour.


Lee Da-young, Gil Min-seo, Seong Seori.


Who is it today?


“Team Manager, I’m coming in.”


It was Eun Hee-ju.


||Previous||TOC||Next||


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next