Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 21

 


Chapter 21 - Bowling


High school students have way too much energy, don't they?


Think about it. They attend classes from morning until three in the afternoon, and then they play or hang out until the evening.


And for those in sports clubs, they push their bodies until it gets dark, without taking any breaks on weekends or holidays.


They have too much energy! Why are high school students so full of energy and vitality?


It might be because they're in their teens, a prime age for physical activity, and perhaps their activities aren't as tiring as work.


Even so, couldn't they take a break or study a bit more?


At Ononai, the school I attend, club activities are generally prohibited on weekends. This is part of the school's policy to balance academics and extracurriculars and to prevent an excessive focus on club activities.


So why did I start thinking about this?


Today is the first day of Golden Week. I made plans to hang out with Takahashi and the others, and the schedule is intense. We're meeting up for lunch, then going to karaoke, followed by bowling. Singing for three hours and then going bowling—it's a full day.


For someone like me, who prefers indoor activities, I'd want to go home right after karaoke, but that doesn't seem to be the case for them.


"I'm not good at karaoke, but I'm confident that no one can beat me at bowling! Hahaha!"


One person, Takahashi, didn't seem tired at all from karaoke and was rolling up his sleeves with a lot of confidence.


Everyone picked their favorite house ball and got ready. Seriously, can we just stick to either yards and miles or pounds? It's confusing.


Even when watching movies, if they suddenly mention miles or pounds, I get lost.


I wish we could standardize these measurements globally, but I know it's not going to happen, so I've given up on that wish.


Anyway, back to Tachibana's monologue.


Takahashi was full of enthusiasm, and the girls seemed energetic too. I was already drained from karaoke and was radiating an aura of wanting to go home, but that didn't work on these lively teenagers.


"I'm good at bowling too~. Hehe~"


"Oh? Are you going to challenge me, Kushibiki? I won't hold back, but if you're okay with that, let's go!"


"Yeah! I'm not going to lose either~"


Kushibiki seemed to be doing well, managing her public persona smoothly.


Meanwhile, Ayase was quietly and meticulously wiping her house ball.


You don't show it on your face, but you're probably enjoying this the most...


"How do we decide the order?"


Ayase asked Takahashi.


"I already decided the order when I checked in. You can see it on the monitor above. Sorry about that."


"It's fine."


Nothing seemed different between Takahashi and Ayase. I wasn't sure if things were going well, but at least they weren't on bad terms.


Now, the order of play... I'm up first? Why me? And why does my name say "Tachiba"? Is this some kind of meaningful message from the author of this world, telling me to understand my position?


"Do your best, Tachiba... pfft"


Hey, don't laugh. You two-faced perverted masked girl.


Seriously, Kushibiki has quite a character. If Takahashi and the others weren't here, I would've tried to imitate Hoshimiya.


I grabbed a house ball and headed to the lane. Aiming carefully at the center of the pins, I threw the ball.


The ball rolled straight down the lane and knocked down all the pins, giving me a strike on my first try.


Huh? Maybe I have a talent for bowling?


We could change the title from " I Can't Stop Loving You!" to "Pro Bowler Tachibana". How does that sound?


...Never mind. That title would probably get canceled after ten weeks.


What's with "Pro Bowler Tachibana"? It sounds so boring.


I made fun of myself, but it still hurt a bit... I guess I'll never be the protagonist, Yoda.


"Wow! That was amazing, Tachibana! Getting a strike right away puts a lot of pressure on me."


"It was just luck. You're up next, Takahashi."


"Right. Okay, I'll give it my all!"


Takahashi raised his right hand, probably expecting a high five, but I ignored him.


"I was going for a high five, you know."


"Oh, my bad."


Takahashi wanted a high five. Sorry, I'm not good with those party-like gestures...


What's with "party-like"? Is it a new language or something?


I see. To survive college, I need to learn this "party-like" language.


College life must be tough.


Seeing Takahashi sulking and looking at me longingly, I reluctantly gave him a high five.


"That's more like it! Alright! I'm not going to lose to you, Tachibana!"


Takahashi's first throw. It curved beautifully like a pro's shot, resulting in a perfect strike. He made a guts pose, raised both hands, and celebrated with great excitement.


We were all stunned by his professional-level throw.


"Alright! Next is Kushibiki."


"Oh, me!? Hehe~ I'm not very good at bowling~"


"Oh, really? Haven't you played much?"


"Yeah~. So, I'd like you to teach me some tips, Takahashi-kun. Oh, sorry! Is that too much trouble?"


Oh, Kushibiki went for the classic upward glance and request combo to win over Takahashi.


First, she subtly mentioned she wasn't good, then asked for help while showing some reluctance. This high-level technique naturally makes the other person say, "It's no trouble at all!" and offer to teach her.


"Kushibiki-san did that on purpose, didn't she?" Ayase asked me in a low voice.


"Yeah. But don't point it out to her. She's trying her best," I replied nonchalantly, resting my chin on my hand and staring at Kushibiki with a deadpan expression.


"Do you think she has feelings for him and that's why she's doing it?"


"Of course, otherwise they wouldn't be flirting like that. Look, Kushibiki's the one initiating all the body contact, but Takahashi doesn't seem to notice or get embarrassed at all. That fortress is impenetrable; Kushibiki's in for a tough fight."


"Now that you mention it, that does seem to be the case."


Kushibiki, with her natural cunning, was closing the distance with Takahashi, but he was too focused on explaining his favorite sport, telling her how to hold the ball, how to avoid slipping, and so on, like he was instructing a child.


Despite her desperate efforts to make a move, nothing seemed to be working on Takahashi. It was like facing a boss in an RPG with no weaknesses.


"Alright, I've taught you everything I can, Kushibiki-san. Now, give it a try!"


"Uh, okay. Got it~"


Having not listened to a word Takahashi said, Kushibiki threw her first ball under his watchful eye.


The house ball rolled slowly, veering right before falling into the gutter. A gutter ball.


"I totally messed up~. Sorry, Takahashi-kun. I thought I was doing it right..."


It was clear that Kushibiki was fishing for some encouragement, but as Ononai Academy’s renowned strategist, Asuha Kushibiki, she managed to throw a gutter ball without making it look too obvious, expecting some supportive words from Takahashi...


"Kushibiki-san! Where were you aiming?"


"What!?"


What's going on?


"The middle... I guess?"


"The middle! That’s not a bad target, but try aiming between the pins on the right. Also, when you throw, stand straight and walk straight. Don’t just throw with force, use your whole arm like a pendulum..."


Takahashi began his detailed lecture like an instructor. While Takahashi's well-meaning advice bombarded her, Kushibiki's smile twitched with frustration.


"If it goes like this, it'll be as long as the principal's morning address," I said.


"It's frustrating that your analogy makes so much sense," Ayase replied.


"Are you complimenting me?"


"No, I'm just saying you're cynical."


Thanks.


I silently sympathized with Kushibiki, thinking "better luck next time," while Ayase pressed her hand to her forehead, likely feeling a headache coming on. Meanwhile, Takahashi continued his passionate guidance.


"Yes, just like that!"


"R-Really? Hehe~ Maybe I can get a strike now~?"


"You should be able to! It’s your turn now, Kushibiki-san. Show us the results of our training!"


"Okay!"


While I had hoped for a slightly bittersweet romantic development typical of a love-comedy manga, their situation turned into something out of an old-school sports manga from the Showa era.


Well, if they’re enjoying it, who am I to say anything? As long as they're having fun.


We finished the first game, with Takahashi, Kushibiki, Ayase, and me ending in that order.


The second game unfolded like a scene from a hot-blooded sports manga.


"T-Takahashi-kun... I can't throw anymore..."


Well, of course. She forced herself to use a heavy house ball for one game.


Kushibiki, on the verge of tears, was about to give up, but Takahashi, fully embodying the passionate character, wouldn't let her.


"Kushibiki-san. If you give up here—"


"Hey, this isn’t basketball," I warned Takahashi.


"Oh, right. My bad. Kushibiki-san, one more game. Let’s give it our all!"


"B-But my arm..."


"It'll be fine! You have more strength left! You’re almost at the ultimate level, just one step away! Use all the strength from the depths of your body!"


"Uh, o-okay?"


Kushibiki couldn't keep up with Takahashi's enthusiasm.


"Like this! Baaam! Swooosh!"


"...T-Takahashi-kun, I feel strength surging through me!"


That's a lie. Absolutely a lie.


Kushibiki's legs were shaking like a newborn deer, and her face was covered in sweat, eyes bloodshot.


If she keeps pushing herself, she'll be in for some serious muscle pain tomorrow.


I hope it doesn't interfere with her activities as Hoshimiya Azusa.


In the end, after the bowling, we watched as Kushibiki, moving like a zombie, boarded the train to go home.

Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next