Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 22

 

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 22

Chapter 22 - On the Bus


After seeing off the exhausted Kushibiki, Takahashi also got on a different train and went home.


Ayase and I were left standing in silence. Despite the bustling crowd at the station, we were like strangers to each other.


It was already past seven in the evening. While still early for adults, it was a time we students needed to be careful.


There were strange men lurking around, and the darkness made it easier for suspicious individuals to hide. Additionally, staying out too late could get us picked up by the police. So, it was best to head straight home after parting ways.


"Shall we go home?" I said.


"Yeah," Ayase replied.


"Are you taking the train?" I asked.


"I'm taking the bus. What about you, Tachibana?"


"Same here."


"I see."


Our simple exchange felt oddly awkward. This was only the second time Ayase and I had been alone together, the first being the incident when we got trapped in the storage room. Perhaps because of that, our conversation felt stilted and tentative.


"I need to stop by the bookstore, so you can go ahead," I said.


"A bookstore? Then I'll come too. There's no big bookstore near my place."


"I see. The one I'm going to is quite large."


Without saying much, we headed to a bookstore near the station.


The bookstore was quite large due to its proximity to the busy station, several times the size of smaller bookstores. It stocked not only new releases but also a wide variety of books, manga, and magazines.


I often stopped by this bookstore on my way home from school. Ayase and I went to the manga and paperback sections respectively, browsing through books as we pleased. I picked up the latest manga and light novels, as well as a new book by a favorite author, and then waited for Ayase.


She bought her books, and we left the store.


Even without speaking, we shared a comfortable silence, like an old married couple.


We boarded the same bus and sat at the back. Despite the time, the bus was surprisingly empty.


"What did you buy?" I asked.


"I got some mysteries and romance novels. What about you?"


"I got some manga, light novels, and a novel. All in all, a decent haul."


"Really? I didn't know you were into books, Tachibana. It's unexpected."


"What's that supposed to mean? A sage like me considers books to be friends."


"Or maybe you read books because you didn't have any real friends?"


"Shut up. I was popular in the lower grades of elementary school. I had so many friends calling out, 'Tachibana!' Impressive, right?"


"Bragging about your popularity in elementary school, especially the lower grades... Don't you find that pathetic?"


Ayase pressed her head, possibly feeling a headache.


"Give me a break. My prime ended there. Now I'm just a shadow of my former self..."


"Indeed. If anything, it seems like all of humanity might hate you."


"I'm humanity's enemy? That's incredible. A final boss. I wonder who's going to come defeat me? A hero?"


As we bantered, the bus continued its journey. The outside is lit by moonlight, streetlights, and building lights, with people on the streets looking cheerful.


The gentle rocking of the bus gradually lulled us into silence, only the creaking and engine noise filling the air. Ayase, gazing out the window, spoke quietly.


"I really enjoyed today."


"What brought that on all of a sudden?"


Her words seemed genuine and sincere.


"Thank you. I had a fun day because of you, Tachibana."


"Thank Takahashi. He was the one who suggested the outing. All I did was invite him and Kushibiki."


"No. It’s because you were there that the four of us could have fun today. Don’t you think so?"


When she said that again, I didn't know how to react.


I didn't intend to boast or take pride in it, so I tried to deflect the credit to Takahashi. But under her unusually serious gaze, I found myself at a loss for words.


"...It's not really me," I muttered.


"You always belittle yourself. It was thanks to you."


"..."


In this world, I'm a supporting character. My role is to stay in the shadows and highlight the main characters. I don't mind being disliked. I don't care what others think.


As long as they were happy and having fun, I didn't need anything else. That's what I thought.


"I'm just..." I started to say.


A weight settled on my shoulder, and when I looked, I saw that Ayase had fallen asleep using my shoulder as a pillow. Her quiet, steady breathing was audible.


"Hey, Ayase. If you sleep at such an awkward time, you won't be able to sleep at night," I said softly, trying not to disturb the other passengers. Ayase just kept gently rising and falling with her breath. This was troublesome.


She was unusually close to me, her face, hair, and the faintly visible nape of her neck all within reach. A pleasant scent wafted up to my nose.


"Wake up, Ayase. Ayase?" I gently shook her, careful not to hurt her, but she showed no signs of waking, likely too exhausted.


With no other choice, I tapped her shoulder lightly. Eventually, she groggily opened her heavy eyelids.


"Ayase. If you sleep here, you'll miss your stop. Wake up," I urged.


"Mmm... not yet... not yet," she mumbled.


"Hey! Don't fall back asleep. Ugh..."


She used my shoulder as a pillow again and drifted back into sleep.


I kept trying to wake her, only for her to insist she was fine and then succumb to sleep again. Meanwhile, the bus continued on its route, approaching my stop.


If I didn't get off here, I'd end up far from home.


I also had a long, tiring day with karaoke and bowling, and I wanted to take a bath and dive into bed. But Ayase's head resting on my shoulder seemed determined to prevent that.


"Hey, my stop is coming up soon," I said.


"...not yet... still," she murmured.


"No, it's my stop. Got it? I'm getting off first," I insisted.


"Mmm... mmm..."


She's completely out of it. Geez... Why are all the girls around me so stubborn?


And why do all the troublesome situations fall on me?


Did I do something wrong?


Since becoming Tachibana, I've worked hard for them.


I think I deserve some recognition, but it seems Tachibana is destined to struggle.


"I can't just leave you here half-asleep," I muttered.


Unforgivingly, the bus passed my stop.


Sigh... I'll be getting home late. I bought those books, but now I have to wait to read them.


"Hey, Ayase? Where's your stop? If you don't tell me, we'll end up at the terminal."


"Mmm... the stop in front of the hospital..." she mumbled.


"The hospital? That's two stops ahead," I said.


Simple enough.


I pressed the stop button for the hospital, and when the bus halted, I supported the drowsy Ayase as we got off. Now, where is this princess's castle?


Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next