Skip to main content

Episode 60: The King of the Underworld is Tired

The King of the Underworld is Tired

Episode 60: The Story of Perseus – (2)


“Go on, try to justify yourself with that famed wisdom of yours, renowned across Olympus.”


As he spoke, looking at Athena, he saw her flinch.


And then, the goddess of wisdom lowered her head deeply and opened her mouth.


"I understand that no matter what I say to you, it will sound like an excuse to evade the situation."


"So you're saying you won't make any excuses?"


"...From now on, I will take your words to heart when punishing humans and reflect upon them."


Though it was inevitable, given her vow of chastity sworn by the River Styx had been threatened... tsk.


It reminds me of Artemis, who cursed Actaeon.


"If something like this happens again, just tell me or Zeus. I'll give you a warning at least."


"Yes, thank you..."


"And I'll remember that you sacrificed the poor priestess who was raped by Poseidon. Make sure this doesn't happen again."


"I will remember, uncle."


Athena's expression of relief, as if glad the matter had ended there, did not sit well with me.


But for now, that's all I have to say about Medusa.


Medusa is not a soul of the underworld, but a living being on earth, and she was also a priestess belonging to Athena.


I can't interfere too much. Although, if she comes to the underworld, I might make things easier for her...


"...Now tell me. Why should I lend my 'kynee'?"


"As you know, Perseus is fated to slay Medusa, who has turned into a monster, and become a hero."


"And so?"


"But he is just a human with no power. Without your divine relic, uncle, he will never defeat Medusa, who is a demigod."


Honestly, I don't care about Perseus being destined to be a hero or whatever,


I'm just annoyed by the circumstances that led to the birth of the monster he's supposed to kill.


"Then, why should I lend my 'kynee' to a powerless human?"


"...How about this? Uncle, you could meet Perseus yourself and test if he is worthy of receiving the 'kynee'."


Athena spoke to me confidently.


Test him myself?


It would only be possible if Perseus was truly heroic, otherwise, she wouldn't have suggested it.


The goddess of wisdom is so confident that now I'm curious.


What kind of human could he be?


"Fine. But in return, while I go meet this Perseus, you will have to work in the underworld."


"...I understand."


Athena, who remained composed even when I questioned her earlier about Medusa, now had cold sweat running down her forehead.


* * * 


The peaceful island of Seriphos.


Perseus, whose life was in danger due to the schemes of King Polydectes, who sought his mother, was deep in thought.


To think that among those approaching his mother, Danaë, because of her beauty, one would be a king.


‘Damn it... Medusa is that monster with snakes for hair, and whoever looks at her turns to stone, right?’


His anger toward King Polydectes grew steadily.


A vile king who would use a monster’s hand to kill a woman’s son just to possess her.


"Perseus. The king commands you. Bring back Medusa’s head."


"If you refuse, you will be executed for defying the royal order. What will you do?"


The young man Perseus clenched his teeth and readied his sword.


Since the king of Seriphos had issued the command, he had no choice but to find a way to kill the monster.


He had thought about fleeing with his mother in secret...


But the king's men were watching this place, and all the ships were under the king's control.


He couldn’t escape using the excuse of hunting Medusa.


If Perseus fled alone, his mother, Danaë, would surely be captured by the king.


‘Do I have no choice...?’


Perseus, fully armed, prepared to head to where Medusa awaited.


But at that moment,


Whiiiing-!


A strange gust of wind blew, and suddenly, standing there was a man with dark hair and a gloomy presence.


The man, with his downcast eyes, slowly looked over him.


Even a mere human like Perseus could feel the presence emanating from him,


This was no ordinary man—this aura, this subtle pressure... he was a god!


Thud.


"...Could you be a god?"


Perseus immediately knelt on one knee and bowed his head to the unknown god.


Could it be that an Olympian god had come to help him?


Just as a sense of sudden faith began to well up within him,


The god spoke to him.


"Are you Perseus?"


"Yes! I am Perseus, my lord!"


Perseus answered with a loud voice.


But the god's tone was cold.


"I’ve come to see the mortal who would voluntarily become my subject."


"Excuse me? What do you mean by that..."


"I am Pluto. God of the underworld. Are you the human who is marching to his death against Medusa?"


Never mind that the man before him was Pluto, one of the Big Three gods...


Does this mean I’m about to die? At the hands of Medusa?


"Medusa is a demigod with the power to turn those who gaze upon her to stone. She is a monster you cannot defeat."


"…"


"Your death is inevitable. Your name is already written in the ledger of the dead, and I became curious to see what kind of human would go to face Medusa, so I came to meet you."


Damn it! So I'm fated to die at Medusa's hands?


Perseus’s body trembled slightly. To willingly walk into certain death...


"But there is one way for you to survive."


"Is there... a way for me to live?"


"It is clear that the king lusts after your mother and seeks to kill you. If you agree to your mother’s marriage to the king, you won’t have to die at Medusa's hands."


"...?!"


"Your mother will become queen, and you will be handsomely rewarded. Isn’t that a good solution?"


Pluto’s cold words were true.


The reason King Polydectes wanted to have him killed by Medusa was because Perseus vehemently opposed the marriage between his mother and the king.


If Perseus changed his mind, he could save his life.


Although his mother despised the king, if he could somehow persuade her...


There would be no need to throw his life away.


But he could not abandon his mother, who would be forced to marry the king against her will.


Nor was it possible to escape the island with his mother.


If he went after Medusa, as the king commanded, he would surely die.


After all, it was Pluto, the god of the underworld, who had confirmed this fate.


‘Damn... Damn it! No way! I, Perseus, won't...'


Perseus bit his lip hard.


* * *


I watched Perseus, his head hanging low as he trembled.


A young man swayed by a storm of emotions—despair from having no escape, and fury toward the king.


Perseus, who had been trembling with his head bowed, suddenly stilled.


Then he slowly raised his head.


His lips were torn and bleeding from where he'd bitten them too hard, and that was the first thing I noticed.


"I cannot accept that, Lord Hades!"


His gaze was burning as he stared at me.


Where had I seen such a fierce glare before? Yes...


"I will surely cut off Medusa’s head and save my life!"


Indeed, it resembled the courage that Cadmus, the great hero and founder of Thebes, had once shown me.


Perhaps... I should test him a bit more.


"Your name is already written in Thanatos’s register. You will soon come to the underworld and meet me again."


"Meeting the great lord of the underworld again would indeed be an honor, but..."


A death sentence proclaimed by the god of the underworld.


He was certain to die after confronting Medusa, an unbeatable monster.


"Still, I will somehow cut off the monster’s head, survive, and make King Polydectes pay as well!"


"Medusa is not just any monster. If anything, she’s a demigod."


"Even if my fate is to die, I will not give up! I will succeed!"


Perseus spoke while taking a deep breath.


Though I had disguised my words as fate, he did not despair.


He did not realize I was lying, and simply accepted the trial calmly.


Perseus, who bravely walked toward a future of certain death, was indeed a hero.


"...You remind me of Cadmus."


"Sorry, what?"


Looking at Perseus’s puzzled expression, I extended my hand.


A human who dares to challenge fate... rather impressive.


"Move forward with confidence in yourself. I, Hades, will bless you."


"...?!"


Though his heroic tale would end in tragedy, I will support you, at least in this moment.


* * *


In an instant, I returned to the underworld and approached Athena, who was busy at work.


The goddess of war and wisdom, who was commanding the souls, saw me and walked over, her armor clanking.


"How did it go, uncle?"


"That human was indeed worthy of your confidence. He reminded me of Cadmus, who tricked Typhon."


Athena’s expression brightened.


"So that means..."


"Yes, I will lend him my 'kynee'. Take it."


"Thank you, uncle!"


I handed the black, old, transparent helmet—'kynee'—to Athena.


And so, I have now played a part in helping to kill Medusa... Hmm.


"Well then, I will go deliver the equipment to Perseus now."


"Equipment?"


"Yes, I will give him my shield, Aegis, Hermes' winged sandals, Hera’s magic bag, and Ares’ sword."


Her plan was for Perseus to wear my 'kynee' to sneak up on Medusa, reflect her location on the surface of Aegis,


Then swiftly approach her with the winged sandals and finish her with Ares’ sword.


With Hera’s magic bag, the 'kibisis', he would be able to safely store Medusa’s head...


"Then I shall be off, uncle."


Watching Athena’s back as she left the underworld, I felt a vague sense of melancholy.


Even Zeus cannot change what is fated,


But was this truly the best course? I don’t know, but...


I should prepare an appropriate compensation for this fated victim, who will soon arrive in the underworld.


||Previous||TOC||Next||

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next