Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 19

 


Chapter 19 - Golden Week


Golden Week. It refers to a long holiday from April to May.


For students, it's about a week-long break, and most of them would be overjoyed, throwing their hands in the air.


Some might go on trips, hang out with friends, or just relax alone.


For me, Golden Week is just a minor break.


If I went out anywhere, it would be crowded and suffocating.


I wonder, isn't it stressful to go out and be jostled by such crowds?


I think it's better to go sightseeing or have fun on weekdays when there are fewer people, but in Japan, where it's hard to take days off, that's impossible.


So, unless there are long holidays like Golden Week, people can't do that. Ugh. When I become an adult, will my eyes also look dead, working late into the night while my boss nags me?


Well, my eyes already look dead.


Without dreams or goals, just figuring out how to get through the day and enjoy a little break.


And those breaks are often consumed by sleep or just lazing around.


I've decided. I don't want to work. I thought about making a living through illustration, but I have no talent for drawing.


I considered becoming a novelist or light novel writer, but I could foresee that I'd get tired and give up after finishing just one chapter, unable to continue.


So, I decided to quietly throw myself into the rough seas of working life, but until then, I'll enjoy this short student life. I decided to sleep until midday.


Golden Week has just begun. It's okay to waste one day.


Ah... I should get up soon and go to the bathroom. I might wet myself.


I got up and checked my phone. I noticed several missed calls and messages.


"Oh...!"


I had completely forgotten. Today, I had plans to hang out with Takahashi and the others, but I had overslept.


The meeting time was noon. We planned to have lunch, then go to karaoke and bowling.


"Well, whatever. I'll eat first and then go."


There's no point in rushing now. Besides, Takahashi and the two heroines are already gathered.


With the protagonist and two heroines together, there should be some romantic comedy developments unfolding—


"Hey! Tachibana!"


I arrived at the meeting place in front of the convenience store at the station at exactly one o'clock.


Takahashi found me and waved his hand enthusiastically, but I wish he wouldn't shout my name so loudly. Look, everyone's staring at us. It looks like a lover's rendezvous or something.


For the record, I was wearing a shirt and a hoodie, jeans, and sneakers—nothing remarkable but nothing terrible either.


As for Takahashi... oh right. We only hung out outside school once during our first year, and his fashion sense was disastrous.


He was wearing a shirt with random English words printed all over it, and pants with chains and too many pockets. Takahashi might barely pull it off because he's good-looking, but still. But, being handsome excuses everything, I guess.


Ayase was dressed in a thin long coat, a shirt, hot pants, and black tights—a stylish outfit.


Kushibiki was wearing a cardigan and a pleated skirt that reached her knees, also a fashionable outfit that showed she put in effort.


It seemed they had already eaten lunch, so if my oversleeping had brought them closer together, then maybe it was a blessing in disguise?


"Sorry, I overslept because it's Golden Week."


"I don't mind, but you should apologize to Ayase and Kushibiki."


"I know, I know."


Ayase, probably quite angry, ignored me even when our eyes met. Kushibiki was fiddling with her phone the whole time.


Was it my fault...?


Takahashi gave me a troubled smile and patted my back.


"My bad. I overslept. Sorry."


"...."


"Yeah, you know the type. People who break promises and disrupt the harmony."


"Hey, Kushibiki. Stop saying things in a low voice that only I can hear."


"Come on, come on. Plans changed a little, but it's fine, right? Let's go and have fun at karaoke!"


Takahashi's desperate attempt to smooth things over made my heart ache.


Going out to have fun is supposed to be about laughing and having a blast.


But what I was witnessing was a group whose atmosphere had completely collapsed. A challenging start indeed.


It's mostly my fault, so I just feel sorry. Honestly... you can't enjoy yourselves in this kind of mood.


And why are the women being so harsh with me...?


We arrived at the karaoke place, quickly checked in, and entered the room the staff directed us to. It was spacious enough for the four of us to enjoy karaoke comfortably.


Now, the real issue begins. Where to sit. You can't take seating arrangements lightly.


Seating arrangements in karaoke are quite important and shouldn't be ignored.


A little physical contact, looking at the song selection device together, getting excited side by side.


These small interactions can increase intimacy and make each other more aware of each other.


Sitting close can shorten the distance between you and might even make your heart race. If I take the corner seat first, I can sit between Takahashi and the two women.


"I'll take the corner seat."


Ayase said and immediately slid into the sofa at the far end.


Oh, my plan is already ruined.


"Tachibana. Don't just stand at the entrance, take a seat."


Takahashi urged me. Dude... you're ruining my silent efforts.


"No, you sit first."


"It's fine, it's fine. No need to hold back, come on!"


Takahashi pushed me forcefully towards Ayase.


No, no, no, no, no. What are you doing?


"Kushibiki-san, you go ahead too."


"O-okay."


So, the seating arrangement from the back was Ayase, me, Kushibiki, and Takahashi.


The small sofa on the other side became a place for our bags, so it looked like this arrangement wouldn't change.


Seriously, shouldn't my seat and Takahashi's be switched?


Why is someone like me, the most average of averages, surrounded by girls?


It's weird, right? It's weird, isn't it?


Speaking of weird, it's Kushibiki next to me. Ayase is sitting so close that our shoulders are almost touching, but why are you leaving a whole person’s space between us?


Do you hate me that much? I should smell nice since I used fabric softener properly.


"So, what order should we sing in?"


Takahashi placed the song selection device on the table and disinfected the two microphones with alcohol wipes.


"I'm not singing, so the three of you can take turns."


"Huh?" "What!?"


Ayase and Kushibiki looked at me in disbelief. No need to stare at me like that, it’s embarrassing.


"I'm not good at karaoke. If someone like me, who sings terribly and is tone-deaf, sings, it'll kill the mood, right? So, I'll just hold the maracas and focus on keeping the energy up. That should be fine, right?"


"Tachibana-kun, I think you should stop that self-deprecating habit of yours..."


Sorry, Ayase. I'd like to stop too, but the Tachibana gene is as resilient as a weed.


"Wow... gross."


Kushibiki, don't look at me with genuine disgust. It's the truth...


"Tachibana, sing if you feel like it. I'll go last, so Ayase-san or Kushibiki-san, you can go first."


"..."


Um... can you two stop communicating with just your eyes with me in the middle?


I can't move at all, and please consider how I feel being stuck between you.


Come to think of it, I forgot that these two don't really talk to each other much.


I thought they had gotten a bit closer before Golden Week or during today's lunch, but apparently not. I thought they got along well, though.


"Go ahead."


Ayase was the first to suggest. Hearing this, Kushibiki started the typical Japanese back-and-forth of insisting the other go first.


"Oh, no, it's fine. Ayase-san, you go ahead."


"No, it's my first time at karaoke..."


"No way! You've never been to karaoke before?"


"Yeah. So, I don't really know how it works..."


"I see. Well, that's understandable then."


"..."


"..."


Here it is! That awkward silence that happens when people who aren't that close talk and the conversation suddenly stops.


When this happens, they end up holding back out of consideration for each other and can't find the words.


Takahashi is struggling with how to handle the two of them, and I feel really bad stuck in the middle.


It's the first day of Golden Week, and here we are in this heavy atmosphere.


Ugh... looks like I have to change the mood here. Okay, time to brace myself.


"Alright, I'll go first. Kushibiki, you're next. Takahashi, show Ayase how to use the song selector. I'll sing in the meantime."


"Huh? Wait, you can't just decide—If Tachibana-kun is singing first, I guess I need to pick a song too..."


Kushibiki is desperately trying to maintain her character in front of Takahashi. She should just drop it...


I quickly operated the song selector, picked a song, and reserved it.


The monitor changed immediately, showing the song title and composer, and the music started playing.


Being the first to sing in karaoke is crucial.


If you sing a song no one knows, it kills the mood. But if you pick something too mellow, it might not be exciting enough.


For a song that's widely known and likely to get everyone hyped, I only know idol songs. I don't go to karaoke often, so my repertoire is limited. But if I sing a million-seller idol group's song, it should definitely get things going.


"Here we go... listen to my song!!!"


I turned on the mic, shouted, stood up, and started singing.


I sang as best as I could following the lyrics, and even though my dance moves were a bit vague, I performed them as best as I remembered. I made it through to the end... and the result was...


"Yeah! Nice job, Tachibana!"


Takahashi smiled and applauded. You're a good guy, as always.


Meanwhile, Ayase looked blankly at me, giving a perfunctory applause. Thanks, I guess.


"Pfft... your singing is so bad, and your dance moves were just weird... it was too funny."


Hey, Kushibiki. I can pull up a video of Azusa Hoshimiya right now, you know? Huh?


Despite my efforts, the karaoke session started with a somewhat awkward atmosphere.


[T/N: Guys, Check out these new novels also:


Previous

TOC

Next



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next