Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 8


Chapter 8: I Want to Be a Side Character


In an exchange that felt like a public execution, I realized I could no longer pursue marriage and decided to become a monk. However, I wasn’t entirely convinced that it had worked out well for me.


It’s hard to believe that the rumors would disappear with Takahashi’s seemingly indifferent response.


However, the effect was immediate.


The group that formed by chance between me, Takahashi, and Ayase quickly gained popularity, Those who used to surround Ayase dispersed.


As expected of Takahashi. Being the protagonist of “I Can’t Stop Loving You!” his influence was tremendous.


Whether the entourage lost interest in Ayase because of Takahashi’s involvement, or whether they felt inferior or jealous of Takahashi’s sun-like presence, only they would know.


Not only the entourage, but the rumors about me and Ayase also stopped abruptly.


Perhaps people didn’t want to be disliked by the popular Takahashi, or maybe it’s something only the protagonist could accomplish. Either way, it’s a feat that a mob character like me, Tachibana, couldn’t achieve.


.......


In the morning. When I arrived at the classroom, I immediately took my seat. Ayase, sitting next to me, was reading a paperback book, so we didn’t exchange greetings.


Today, unusually, Takahashi wasn’t in the classroom, either late or absent. Either way, it’s lonely without him in the morning.


As usual, I prepared for class and was about to take a nap before the morning homeroom started when Ayase closed her book and glanced sideways at me to speak.


“Good morning.”


“Yeah.”


“About yesterday, thank you.”


“Ah. If you’re going to thank someone, thank Takahashi. He solved everything. I didn’t do anything.”


“But You listened to my troubles, Tachibana-kun.”


For the first time, Ayase called me by my name. Just that alone made my heart skip a beat slightly.


“You’re overestimating me. I couldn’t solve it alone, so I consulted Takahashi, and he ended up resolving everything by himself.”


“No. I did something terrible to you… You listened to me without showing any displeasure. That’s not something just anyone would do.”


Ayase looked apologetic, casting a shadow on her face. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t remember being treated terribly, and the incident in the storeroom was an accident. If she was harsh to me, it was because I’m a cynic with a bad personality, so it’s my own fault.


“What’s the matter? Do you need a reason?”


“It’s not like that…”


“It’s fine. It’s over. Don’t worry about it.”


“...”


Ayase still seemed like she wanted to say something. But I wouldn’t prompt her, and I didn’t want to force her to talk. It would be rude to Ayase, and I have to be aware that I’m just a side character in this world.


The protagonist is Takahashi. And one of the people meant to be his heroine is Ayase.


Especially since Ayase is the main heroine, I, Tachibana, shouldn’t get too involved.


Not much time has passed since I became Tachibana Chihaya in “I Can’t Stop Loving You!” I’ve been desperate to adapt, and then I got caught up in an accident involving Ayase.


I was a bit too meddlesome. Originally, the person who should be at the center of this turmoil is supposed to be Hiroto Takahashi.


“Make sure to thank Takahashi properly. I’m going to sleep a little.”


I’ll leave the rest to the young couple… though I’m young too.


I laid my head down on the desk and closed my eyes. I had no more to talk about with Ayase, and somehow talking to her made my chest feel restless.


What is this feeling of unease? Just a figment of my imagination? Or is it a different emotion?


I don’t want to think about it. Because she is...


“Tachibana-kun.”


“...”


I pretended to be asleep. If I do, she’ll give up and stop calling out to me.


I am a side character. A supporting role. I shouldn’t stand out, and I don’t want to.


“You seem to have forgotten, but I remember.”


What does she remember?


Did I say something rude to Ayase in this short period?


No, that can’t be…


“You’re a cynic with a bad mouth… but you’re different now.”


What does Ayase want to say?


I’ve become cynical because of Tachibana’s influence, and I have a bad mouth and a bad look.


I don’t have any good points, but I’m not bad-looking, and I’ve been living stress-free, so it’s even.


“I...”


“Good morning, Tachibana! Oh, are you asleep?”


As expected of the protagonist. He arrived at the perfect time.


Takahashi lightly nudged my shoulder but then stopped.


“It’s almost time for class to start, and you’re sleeping.”


“Yeah. Oh, good morning, Ayase-san.”


“Good morning. Thank you for everything yesterday.”


“Not at all! I acted only for Tachibana and Ayase-san. You should be thanking Tachibana, not me.”


“Tachibana-kun said the same thing.”


“Ah, right. That’s so like Tachibana lately.”


“Is Tachibana-kun like this lately?”


“Yeah. He’s still cynical, with a bad mouth and a bad look.”


Hey. Are you talking behind my back because you think I’m asleep?


“But I’ve come to like Tachibana more recently. Isn’t he cute? He’s still prickly, but maybe he can’t express his true feelings.”


I see. Maybe that can be interpreted as being shy…


Stop it, stop it!


It’s like I’m some tsundere character!


I firmly deny it! I’m just stating the facts!


“Yeah. He should just smile and be happy. But that’s what’s good about him.”


“Yes. It’s really funny.”


…What kind of face should I make when talking to them?


Don’t mess with me! You should be flirting with each other like the protagonist and main heroine!


I’m fine being a side character. In the character introductions, I’m at the bottom, with only a word or two of explanation. That’s enough for a supporting character. Because the protagonist of this story is you, Takahashi Hiroto.


And the heroine is Ayase Riko. Yes. I’m in a position where I should not interfere with their love path, the character I was assigned to be.


Why am I talking to Ayase as if it’s so much fun…?


According to the original first volume, we never talked at all, so where did things go wrong?


But well, it’s not bad.


Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next