Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 7


Chapter 7: The Protagonist’s Turn!


I immediately decided to take action. After parting ways with Ayase, I called the person who would likely put an end to this issue.


“Hello?”


“It’s me. Can we talk for a bit?”


“Sure. But isn’t it the first time Tachibana has called me? What’s the sudden urgency? Inviting me out for fun?”


“Unfortunately, it’s not for fun this time. Sorry to bother you, but let’s get to the point. You’re aware of the rumors about me and Ayase, right?”


“Of course.”


“Ayase is tired of those rumors and came to me for advice. She seems quite worn out, and we need to find a way to resolve this situation. Please, lend us your help.”


There was silence on the other end of the line. I could only hear faint background noises through the phone. Although it was less than a minute, waiting for a response felt twice as long.


“Tachibana, you’ve changed. Did you eat some strange mushrooms or something?”


“Stop joking around at a time like this. We’re serious here.”


Ah, right. I don’t get power-ups from eating mushrooms.


“Sorry, I didn’t mean any harm. But ever since Ayase transferred here, Tachibana seems like a different person. Well, physically, you’re still the same.”


Takahashi Hiroto is someone I don’t understand. He’s clueless about romantic matters and often fails to read the room. Yet, in moments like these, he seems to have a sixth sense, making sharp observations as if on cue. I dislike that about him.


“Yeah, well, it’s not strange for a teenage boy to experience a change in feelings within a day. Besides, being influenced by anime or manga is common—it happens all the time.”


“True. Tachibana is easily influenced. Maybe you ate something weird?”


“Ha, I’m just sensitive. Anyway, any good ideas?”


“Well… even if you ask me suddenly, I can’t come up with anything right away.”


I sensed his hesitation even through the phone. It’s understandable; he wasn’t prepared for this question. After several exchanges, we still hadn’t reached a conclusion. The air grew stagnant, and I considered postponing the conversation until the next day.


“Can’t we divert the topic somehow?” Takahashi suggested.


“Ah, changing the topic? That’s an unexpected angle.”


Why didn’t I think of something so simple?


Maybe my perspective narrowed because I’m directly involved. But I feel a glimmer of hope now.


“What do you think, Tachibana? Did anything come to mind?”


“Well, it’s a hint, but not a complete solution yet. Still, I feel like we’ve opened up a path. Thanks. I appreciate it.”


“No problem. I’ll always support you, Tachibana. You’ve become interesting lately, and… well, I like you.”


An abrupt confession, delivered with sincerity. I was taken aback but managed a wry smile, shaking my head.


“Unfortunately, I’m straight, so I can’t reciprocate your feelings. Sorry.”


“That’s not what I meant, but my feelings won’t change. So rest assured! I’ll always be your friend.”


“Got it. You’re an amazing friend.”


Our brief, somewhat youthful exchange left my face feeling warm. Takahashi, you’re a good guy after all. It’s a relief that you’re the protagonist.


“Now, what should we do?”


During lunch break, Takahashi and I sat in a little-known spot near the tennis courts. This area used to be a garbage dump, but it was dismantled due to decay. A new garbage dump had been relocated elsewhere, leaving this open space. A flowerbed had been created, and it was just the right size for sitting.


I appreciated Takahashi’s thorough explanation. Here, we could talk without much interruption. Over our lunchboxes, we continued our conversation from yesterday, basking in the sun.


“Since then, I’ve been thinking. We had plenty of time, so I tried to organize my thoughts.”


“Sorry for bothering you.”


“No worries.”


Takahashi took out his smartphone and began tapping away. Perhaps he was using the memo function. It was considerate of him. Very protagonist-like. No, he actually is the protagonist. 


“First option. With violence—”


“Stop right there. That’s a no-go.”


“What? I haven’t even said everything yet!”


“The moment you start with ‘violence,’ it’s already out of the question. We’re not in the Showa era anymore; we don’t solve things with fists.”


It’s the Reiwa era now, not Heisei or Showa. I wish he would suggest a solution that fits the times. What was Takahashi going to say after ‘violence’ with such a serious face?


“Hmm. The second option is to buy a mask first.”


“Huh?”


“Then, wearing the mask, we surround the person spreading rumors and beat them up—”


“Get away from violence! That’s just lynching! I can’t be part of a crime, and if we did that, it would become a police matter. Next.”


“Okay then. The third option. We start our own rumors to overwrite the existing ones.”


Finally, a reasonable suggestion appears at the third attempt.


After the terrible first and second options, there’s hope for this challenging yet sensible third option.


“What specifically?”


“Like saying Ayase can see fairies, or Tachibana is a descendant of dragons and, while being a high school student, is also punishing evildoers?”


“If we did that, wouldn’t Ayase just become isolated and pitied as some weirdo? And dragging me into spreading fantasies is out of the question. What’s next?”


I was foolish to have any expectations. Maybe it’s time for me to seriously think about this myself. Sigh…


“It was a joke. The fourth option is the real deal. How about we include Ayase in our circle?”


“What do you mean by that?”


“Just as it sounds. We should just bring Ayase into our group. A trio is born: you, me, and Ayase. I think that would put an end to the rumors.”


“I see. So you mean the three of us together.”


Ayase and I haven’t exchanged a single word at school, and that’s only fueled the rumors.


If we show everyone that the three of us are getting along, the rumors will dissipate like mist. Takahashi is handsome enough to command respect, and his words carry a lot of weight. I see… That’s an interesting way to look at it.


“And I think Ayase wouldn’t like it either.

She’s always surrounded by people and looks bored.”


“You really pay attention to Ayase, huh?”


“Ayase stands out, and you can’t help but overhear their conversations, right?”


“Yeah, that’s true.”


They don’t really see Ayase. They only look at her appearance and body.


Honestly, they’re just interested in their own vanity and status. It’s a boring and worthless interaction that I’d rather not waste my life on.


“Alright! If there are no objections, I’ll go right away! Leave the rest to me!”


“Wait, what? Hey! Where are you going?!”


“To the classroom. You know what they say, ‘Strike while the iron is hot.’”


Takahashi stood up energetically and dashed off at full speed. I scratched my head and ran after him.


In the 2-3 classroom, everything was as usual, but when I arrived, the room was enveloped in silence. The culprit at the center of it all, Hiroto Takahashi, was out of breath from running so fast. Sweat dripped from his forehead as he pushed through the crowd to Ayase.


“Ayase!”


Takahashi’s call echoed in the classroom. Everyone watched with bated breath, and even the entourage frowned as they waited for his next words.


“Yes, what is it?”


Ayase, having her name called out of the blue and attracting unwanted attention, was frozen in place. Well, that’s understandable.


“Let’s be friends!”


“Uh, okay.”


“Let’s exchange contact info! You use LAIN, right?”


“…Yes.”


Ayase fumbled but managed to take out her smartphone and exchanged contact information with Takahashi. Then, grabbing Ayase’s hand, he helped her stand up.


“There’s someone I want to introduce you to. He might be a bit rough around the edges, but he’s a good person and a dear friend of mine!”


“Right now?”


“Yes, yes! Hey, Tachibana! Over here!”


Don’t shout my name like that!


Now everyone’s looking at me. And it’s supposed to be a noisy lunch break, but it’s as quiet as if it were class time, which is awkward.


My previously good mood plummeted, and I felt nauseous.


Takahashi was nonchalantly waving me over. Sigh, let’s go.


The sound of my loafers hitting the floor echoed, and all eyes followed my every move.


The people around Ayase parted to make way for me, and I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea.


“That’s Tachibana Chihaya! He might speak harshly, but he doesn’t mean it. He’s actually quite tsundere, which is endearing once you understand the true meaning behind his words.”


“Hey! Don’t embarrass me like that!”


Now everyone heard it. Ugh, there are girls looking at me like I’m creepy… please stop…


“…Tsundere. It’s one thing if it’s an anime heroine, but you being tsundere… pfft.”


“Don’t laugh! I’m not tsundere or anything like that! Takahashi… you…!!”


“It’s fine. It’s not like you’re losing anything.”


“That’s not the point!!! Hey! You there, Ayase! Stop laughing so hard!!!”


My anguished cry echoed through the school. Why me…


Well, if this helps Ayase, then it’s worth it. That’s what I found myself thinking.


Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next