Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - chapter 6


Chapter 6: Consultation


I immediately said yes to Ayase’s invitation.


I’m a guy, after all. I know a little about Ayase from manga, and I couldn’t refuse an invitation to dine from a beautiful transfer student.


But why would Ayase have any business with a side character like me?


Sure, there are strange rumors circulating, but I didn’t start them; it’s just the rumor-lovers around who are adding their own spin.


She might have something she wants to say to me, but I wish she would complain to someone else.


The only other possibility I can think of is an invitation for a confession of love, but that’s one hundred percent impossible.


Her attitude towards me is hostile, so a confession is out of the question.


Even if I wanted to ask her the reason, it’s impossible between classes or during lunchtime because people are always surrounding Ayase.


I too was busy fending off my classmates and students from the other classes, so, I couldn’t ask her the real reason.


With these unresolved feelings lingering in my chest, I end up facing the end of the school day.


I wanted to follow Ayase, who had left the classroom earlier, but I was blocked by Takahashi and some weird flashy guy. Especially the flashy guy, who was so persistent that I gave him a chop as a present.


Once freed, I hurried to the family restaurant Ayase had designated.


The place Ayase chose is a famous Italian family restaurant. It’s cheap and delicious, so many students go there, and I personally like this chain as well.


The store I directed to is located a bit away from the school I attend, so I had to use a map app to get there.


I got lost and it took some time, but I finally arrived.


Upon entering the restaurant and explaining to the staff, I was guided to a seat where Ayase was already sitting, playing with her smartphone.


I might have kept her waiting, as Ayase had already ordered from the drink bar and was drinking something.


Our eyes met, but without exchanging words, I pulled out a chair and sat down, and Ayase put her smartphone on the table and looked up.


“You’re late. What were you doing?”


“I got lost on the way here since I’ve never been here before. I did hurry, so don’t be too hard on me.”


Plus, there was interference from Takahashi and the others, but making more excuses would just lower my standing as a man.


“Why didn’t you use the bus or train?”


“I rode bike to school, so I can’t use public transportation. Besides, that costs money. My wallet’s tight this month.”


“You sound poor.”


“High school students have a lot of expenses. So, what did you want to talk about?”


I asked while opening the menu. I already had an idea of what to order, but I always check the menu for limited-time offers.


And I’ll do the familiar spot-the-difference game at this family restaurant later. It’s perfect for killing time, and it’s interesting because it’s challenging. But there’s no answer key, so I hope that can be fixed.


“We’ll talk after ordering. You were late, so I ordered first. Go ahead and order whatever you like.”


“Alright.”


I pressed the switch, and the waiter came over immediately. I quickly placed my order and went to the drink bar for a beverage. Of course, I chose my favorite orange juice.


Orange juice is a safe bet wherever you order it.


I love its sweet yet sour taste.


It’s a drink I want to keep enjoying even as an adult, my favorite drink.


I returned to my seat and took a sip of the orange juice. Mmm. Delicious.


Ayase elegantly sipped her coffee and met my eyes before speaking.


“How much do you know about the rumors?”


“I’ve only heard bits and pieces of baseless rumors. But there are people who believe these unfounded stories and confront me about them. Thanks to someone driving them away and protecting me, so there’s been no real harm so far.”


So, she called me out because of the rumors. I had a rough idea.


Well, I’m not that simple. I’m well aware that being invited to dinner doesn’t necessarily mean there’s a good feeling.


“People are saying that you and I started dating after that incident, even though we’re not. There are even more unsavory rumors, like we were doing something indecent at that place. It’s giving me a headache. You feel the same, right?”


“It doesn’t feel good, no. People say whatever they want because it’s about someone else.”


They say rumors last seventy-five days, but the thought of baseless rumors being spread about forever is unsettling.


Ayase in front of me now looks more sullen and exhausted than when she’s at school.


“Yes, exactly. I’m tired of denying it. I really wish they would stop.”


“We have no choice but to wait for those who enjoy the rumors to get bored. If we deny it, they’ll just heat up even more, thinking, ‘So it is true!?’ If we ignore them and don’t engage, they’ll eventually get bored and stop talking about it. It’s tough, but we have to wait silently for time to resolve it. They just love to gossip about other people’s misfortunes and love affairs. That’s their only joy, so we have to be careful not to stoop to their level.”


“…I knew it, but you’re quite twisted, aren’t you?”


“Should I take that as a compliment?”


“Yes. It’s creepy, but thank you for voicing my frustrations.”


“It’s unnecessary to say more than a few words…”


It’s Tachibana’s twisted personality that’s creepy, right? That must be it.


Let’s just leave it at that.


“There was that accident, and because of me, you got involved and became the subject of rumors… I feel bad about that…”


Ayase frowned with an apologetic look.


When she says that much, I can’t help but feel sorry too.


“It’s not your fault, Ayase. The ones spreading rumors and happily joining in are to blame. So, there’s no need for you to apologize or feel guilty.”


“…I thought you were just a creepy, twisted person, but you’re unexpectedly kind.”


“Yeah, right. As if a twisted guy with a foul mouth like me could be kind. No way.”


“Exactly. That’s why you’re not liked. I never hear anything good about you, and most people only speak ill of you.”


“I talk bad about them too, so it’s even.”


“See, you’re twisted.”


“You’re welcome. So, what do you want to do about the rumors?”


“How can we get rid of the rumors? Even if you say you don’t have to apologize, I still feel responsible since I got you involved. I want to put an end to these rumors. They’re really annoying.”


That was a moment when I caught a glimpse of Ayase’s hidden side.


Her last words were sharp and intense, leaving a strong impression.


She’s not very expressive at school, but for the first time, I saw some real emotion.


“I see. Hmm… it’s difficult.”


I leaned back in my chair, put my hands behind my head, and looked up at the ceiling, muttering.


As I said before, we can only wait for the rumors to fade with time.


“You probably don’t know, but I get confessed to a lot.”


It was a bit of an annoying way to say it.


“Figures. Is this suddenly a bragging contest? Can you do that somewhere else?”


She casually threw in a boast. What, is she picking a fight with me?


Right, right. Because I share Tachibana’s memories, I have all the memories from his upbringing to the present.


Unfortunately, Tachibana Chihaya has never been confessed to by a girl.


To be precise, there have been confessions, but they were all part of their punishment games.


They enjoyed my reaction, and it all became their laughing stock.


Tachibana, it must have been tough. I’m the only one who can sympathize with you!


“It’s not a boasting. I’ve turned down all the confessions. But many of them ask about my relationship with you, and it’s infuriating. You must be aware of it too.”


Ayase shrugged and took a sip of her coffee.


Sure, there’s harassment from boys in other classes that I don’t know well, but as soon as I get eyewitness information, I report it to the teacher, so it’s not a problem.


This school deals with bullying and other issues much better than the world I know. I’m grateful, and I wish it were the norm.


“It’s always the idiots who leave evidence, so I report everything to the teacher. Some students have been suspended or expelled. Such a waste.”


“I’m really sorry… I didn’t know it was causing actual harm…”


“Don’t worry about it. I’ll say it again, the ones doing wrong are to blame. Ayase, you should apologize for bragging about being popular to me. Actually, apologize.”


“It’s the truth. Is there a problem?”


“No problem!”


“Good.”


Grrr… it’s frustrating, but I have to endure it, me!


“We’ve strayed too far from the topic. So, have you thought of anything? A way to stop the rumors.”


“Not at all. No matter what I say or do, it doesn’t seem possible to convince them. I give up. Unfortunately.”


“I see.”


Ayase seemed resigned. I also deeply considered what could be done.


First, let’s organize the situation. Ayase, the transfer student, and me, Tachibana, the twisted and disliked guy in the class.


We were accidentally locked in the storage room, and from there, nasty rumors spread that we started dating or did something indecent.


Both Ayase and I are affected. Denying it or doing anything else doesn’t seem to end it.


Poor Ayase. Indifferent me. So, is there a solution?


A good idea doesn’t just pop up immediately.


It’s difficult for just the two of us to resolve… we need to rely on someone else… I see.


Let’s borrow the power of that person.


Whether it’ll work or not, we won’t know until we try, and it’ll put that person in a slightly unfavorable role.


Will they agree to help?


I shared the idea that came to mind with Ayase, and after a little hesitation, she nodded in agreement.


Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next