Skip to main content

Side Character in a Romantic Comedy manga - Chapter 5


Chapter 5: The Side Character Gets Noticed


Afterward, Tanaka sensei and the others, worried about our absence, came to our rescue.


Naturally, it became a bit of a problem, and the storage room was hastily repaired, inspected, and tidied up.


Tanaka sensei and the principal personally apologized to Ayase and me for the incident of two students being trapped.


I wasn’t injured or anything, and I got to skip classes for the interviews and such, so I didn’t make a fuss about it.


Ayase seem to want to avoid conflict with the school, so there was no particular reaction, and the matter ended…


Of course, the story of a transfer student and a boy being trapped in the storage room spread amusingly and widely.


It was just that some items in the storage room had collapsed, causing the door to malfunction, trapping Ayase and me inside, but even that was enough to become juicy gossip for those who love rumors.


I only found out about this the day after the incident.


The day after the confinement incident, I was unharmed and as lively as ever.


Looking back, it should have been Takahashi, not me, who got involved in that event.


Why did a side character like me end up in such a scenario with Ayase, one of the main heroines?


Honestly, I’m a bit thrown off by the unexpected turn of events. It feels like I've stepped into an entirely new and unknown world, completely different from the manga plotlines I’m familiar with.


Really, has my irregular presence caused a disturbance in consistency?


Anyway, I need to somehow get things back on track and bring those two together.


Hmm, how can I bring Takahashi and Ayase together?


Now that the story has changed, do I need to intervene and sort things out?


Sigh, why do I have to…


Thinking about all this, I arrive at school, but I can’t relax because I feel like I’m being watched.


I’m not that famous, and Tachibana isn’t the type to keep posting on social media like a broken record.


I wondered what was going on, but I found out the meaning when I got to the classroom.


My seat is at the very back by the window. Next to it is Ayase, who just transferred yesterday.


That alone wouldn’t be a problem, but she’s surrounded by people.


Because of that, my seat has been invaded by others, and I can’t even sit down. Of course, if it’s a beautiful girl like Ayase, anyone would want to be friends and get close to her.


Among the girls, there are also boys, and I feel disgusted by their obvious ulterior motives.


“Hey, hey, Riko, your hair is so pretty. What shampoo do you use?”


A female classmate, whose name I don’t even know, seems to be asking Ayase about her shampoo. Ayase, without a hint of annoyance, answers with a straight face.


“It's Just an store brought shampoo. I’m not doing anything special.”


“Wow! So this silky hair is all natural? That’s nice.”


Just an ordinary conversation. It’s inevitable since they don’t know each other.


Listening to Ayase’s conversation with a classmate from a distance, I suddenly realize that all eyes are on me.


The atmosphere was quite uncomfortable, seemingly tinged with both curiosity and ridicule.


I don’t mind being the center of attention.


I don’t care what the people thinks of me.


“What’s up, Tachibana? Are you that interested in her?”


Takahashi, with a lecherous old man’s grin, nudges me.


Annoying… Don’t make that face. You’re supposed to be the protagonist of “I Can’t Stop Loving You!” so act more like it.


“It’s not like that. There’s just a crowd, and I can’t get to my seat.”


“Ah, the rumored transfer student is next to Tachibana’s seat. Unlike someone, she’s popular and well-received. Just give up and wait until the bell rings.”


“Shut up. It’s not like I chose to be disliked.”


Takahashi says it without a hint of sarcasm. Is this the effect of being handsome?


“Just kidding. By the way, I’ve heard rumors that Tachibana and Ayase-san have gotten quite close. Do you have any explanation for that?”


Takahashi, pretending to be a reporter, points an imaginary microphone at me. I brush his hand away and say in exasperation.


“No way. If we became friends because of an accident like that, something's seriously wrong. She’s denying it too, right?”


“Exactly. But still, the two of you alone in the storage room, trapped by an unfortunate accident. It’s like a romance plot straight out of fiction!”


That’s right. This world itself is a work of fiction.


I feel like shouting that out loud, but revealing spoilers might erase my very existence.


“It’s a coincidence. We’re not kids. There’s nothing between me and Ayase. Cut it out, or I’ll get angry.”


“Sorry about that. I won’t say it anymore, so cheer up.”


“hah. That’s why I hate people who love gossip.”


I agree. I hate such twisted people. But wait. These aren’t my true feelings; they’re just the thoughts of Tachibana Chihaya slipping out. Please believe me.


“Hey, if it isn’t Tachibana~. What’s up, what’s up~? Oh, are you jealous because your beloved Ayase-chan is being taken by someone else? You’ve got to be more open-hearted and patient, you know~”


I was tapped on the shoulder by a classmate whose intentions I couldn’t quite grasp, as he freely made various comments.


A guy with dyed brownish hair, long and skinny like pasta, with a face that couldn’t exactly be called handsome, started bothering me.


Who? Was there someone in my class who failed their high school debut so badly and didn’t realize it?


“Who are you?”


“That’s harsh~. Banacchi, that’s harsh~. We’re classmates, you should at least remember faces and names~”


I don’t know you. I can’t stand people who look as flimsy and superficial as you.


For now, I’ll ignore this guy. If I treat him like he’s not even in my field of vision, there shouldn’t be a problem.


“Hey, hey~ isn’t ignoring me a bit too cruel? It’s me, you know? You get it, right?”


Is this some new kind of scam?


Sorry, but if you’re going to come at me with such fraudulent tactics, I’ll have to call the police.


“It’s Hosokawa~. Remember that, will you?”


“Right. Hosokawa the hero, or should I say, Hero Hosokawa.”


“Hey, Hiroto~ don’t call me by my first name~!”


Ah, so ‘hero’ is read as ‘Hiro’. Well, it’s a modern-sounding name, but this guy is too much of a loser for his name…


And Takahashi, that guy has some serious social skills. I’m pretty sure this flashy guy wasn’t in the same class as us in our first year.


When did they become friends?


Just as I was being bothered by this incomprehensible classmate, another customer arrived.


This time, it was a tall guy with a tan and a well-structured, albeit cynical face, who stood two heads taller than Takahashi.


“Oh, if it isn’t the rumored Adam.”


His voice was deep and cool. This must be Ethan Kato from the basketball team.


Born to an American father and a Japanese mother, he’s been sweeping national championships since his first year with his gifted physical abilities and height.


By the way, I became classmates with this Kato guy when we became second-years. I remembered reading that in the first volume. I recalled that Kato was portrayed as a good guy, so I let my guard down.


“Who are Adam and Eve? What’s up, Kato?”


“Eh~ why do you remember Ethan’s name but forget mine~? That’s sad~ boo hoo.”


Oh, cut out the fake crying. Uh, what was your name again? I don’t really know, but you, don’t talk.


“No, it’s nothing. I was just curious about what kind of guy Tachibana Chihaya, who’s been the talk of the town since yesterday, is.”


“What about it? Rumors are just rumors. I’ll just say that there’s nothing between me and Ayase.”


“I see. It’s not good to get too excited or upset over rumors. My bad. Anyway, it was nice talking to the classmate of the hour. Nice to meet you, handsome boy.”


His English pronunciation is really good. Kato doesn’t seem like a bad guy, but there are many things that concern me. Tachibana wasn’t supposed to be surrounded by such people. If it’s just not depicted in the manga, then it’s an unfounded worry, but…


The bell rang, and the students who had been chatting returned to their seats one after another.


Thanks to people around Ayase also taking their seats, I was finally able to sit down and rest.


What a relief. Ah, I’m tired from the morning already.


Then, a small piece of paper flew onto my desk. Judging by the direction it came from, it was from Ayase next to me.


Glancing sideways, Ayase was looking away, signaling that it wasn’t from her.


I nervously opened the paper, and it was written in cute handwriting:


“Do you have plans after school?”


…Huh?


But, well, yeah. I don’t have any particular plans.


I tore off a piece of my notebook, wrote that I had no plans, and tossed it onto Ayase’s desk.


I waited for a reply, not hearing a word the homeroom teacher was saying.


“Then come to this place after school.”


The piece of paper had the name and address of a certain family restaurant written on it.


Wait a minute. This is an invitation, right? From Ayase.


Hey, hey. Ayase-san. What do you need from me?


Previous

TOC

Next


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 1

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 2

 

These lewd things are idols?: Episode 0

I became the villain in a romantic comedy—Illustrations

Hong Seol Lee Ye Ji Park Ha-eun She is someone who has not yet appeared at this point in time. TOC Next